GSoC Update
Aaron Meurer
2015-03-02 19:42:32 UTC
So I have some bad news. Google did not accept our application to be a
mentoring organization this year.

We are still in the process of finding out from Google why they did
not accept our application. The most we know now is that they received
"many more applications than they were able to accommodate".

For those of you who were planning to apply, don't fret. We will still
participate under the umbrella of PSF, and possibly others. However,
it is likely that we won't get as many slots as we have in the past,
so you should put extra hard work into your application to make it the
best. I wrote a blog post a few years ago with advice for prospective
students that is still relevant today
https://asmeurersympy.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/advice-for-future-prospective-gsoc-students/.

Aaron Meurer
Jason Moore
2015-03-02 19:47:44 UTC
Note that NumFocus was selected and that we are also part of NumFocus.

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791
Post by Aaron Meurer
So I have some bad news. Google did not accept our application to be a
mentoring organization this year.
We are still in the process of finding out from Google why they did
not accept our application. The most we know now is that they received
"many more applications than they were able to accommodate".
For those of you who were planning to apply, don't fret. We will still
participate under the umbrella of PSF, and possibly others. However,
it is likely that we won't get as many slots as we have in the past,
so you should put extra hard work into your application to make it the
best. I wrote a blog post a few years ago with advice for prospective
students that is still relevant today
https://asmeurersympy.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/advice-for-future-prospective-gsoc-students/
.
Aaron Meurer
Mihir Wadwekar
Jason Moore
2015-03-02 21:09:25 UTC
We are not a mentor org this year. This question is maybe better stated as:
"Can students apply to other organizations to work on SymPy related
projects?". Yes, they can, but it is up to us to develop a relationship
with those organizations to see if they will provide slots and/or agree to
consider SymPy focused projects.

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791
Aaron Meurer
2015-03-02 21:15:23 UTC
Yes, in the past, before SymPy was a mentoring organization, we
participated under many umbrella organizations. I will provide an
update on what org(s) you should apply under when the student
application period begins.

Aaron Meurer
Ondřej Čertík
2015-03-02 21:22:41 UTC
Post by Aaron Meurer
Yes, in the past, before SymPy was a mentoring organization, we
participated under many umbrella organizations. I will provide an
update on what org(s) you should apply under when the student
application period begins.
We'll do our best and we will update this list with more information
in few days. In the meantime, prepare your applications. I hope things
will work out, in the past we were able to have around 5 students or
so under various umbrella organizations, so we'll see how it goes this
year.

Ondrej
Luv Agarwal
2015-03-02 22:56:41 UTC
Hi, I was just curious to know if it is possible that my application for
CAD implementation gets less preference just because of the reason that no
mentor knows CAD algorithm for now as said by Aaron in
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/sympy/cylindrical$20algeb/sympy/U6kFRkPP9EE/7uFP6sN3JA4J
Aaron Meurer
2015-03-02 22:59:11 UTC
If anything, this gives it more preference, because GSoC will be the
only way we will get the algorithm implemented.

Anyhow, you shouldn't worry about priority of projects, or who can
mentor things. If we like you and your proposal, we will find someone
to mentor it.

Aaron Meurer
Raniere Silva
2015-03-03 20:27:38 UTC
Post by Jason Moore
Note that NumFocus was selected and that we are also part of NumFocus.
I'm in charge of it. Applications from Sympy are very welcome.
Jason Moore
2015-03-03 21:41:29 UTC
Hi Raniere,

Can you clarify what you mean by "applications"?

Other umbrella organizations, for example the PSF, have specific guidelines
in participating under their wing for GSoC.

Since SymPy is already under the NumFOCUS umbrella, how does NumFOCUS plan
to award slots to their organizations?

We are certainly interested now that we were not selected as a mentoring
organization ourselves.

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791
Ondřej Čertík
2015-03-03 21:45:32 UTC
Hi Jason,
Post by Jason Moore
Hi Raniere,
Can you clarify what you mean by "applications"?
The way GSoC works is that students send applications and they are
free to send it to any accepted organization.
Post by Jason Moore
Other umbrella organizations, for example the PSF, have specific guidelines
in participating under their wing for GSoC.
Right, every org has some formal or informal guidelines how they will
select students. Typically this is done based on how much they like
them, i.e. they sort them from the best to the worst, and then they
have to find mentors. Then depending on how many slots Google gives
them (i.e. typically Google gives 2 slots to new organizations, but
there can be exceptions), they accept the first N. PSF does it a bit
differently.
Jason Moore
2015-03-03 21:51:54 UTC
Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791
Post by Ondřej Čertík
Hi Jason,
Post by Jason Moore
Hi Raniere,
Can you clarify what you mean by "applications"?
The way GSoC works is that students send applications and they are
free to send it to any accepted organization.
I see, but Raniere's statement could mean "applications from SymPy to be
umbrellaed by NumFOCUS for GSoC" or it can mean "applications from GSoC
students to NumFOCUS for SymPy related projects". For example, the PSF now
requires the sub-org to apply to be under their umbrella.
Post by Jason Moore
in participating under their wing for GSoC.
Right, every org has some formal or informal guidelines how they will
select students. Typically this is done based on how much they like
them, i.e. they sort them from the best to the worst, and then they
have to find mentors. Then depending on how many slots Google gives
them (i.e. typically Google gives 2 slots to new organizations, but
there can be exceptions), they accept the first N. PSF does it a bit
differently.
Ok, so I guess then I'm wondering if all sub-orgs under NumFOCUS will have
say in selecting the best applications? The PSF, for example, asks each
sub-org how many slots they'd like, then they request the full # of slots
to Google, and then they distribute the award slots among the sub-orgs
proportional to what they requested. That way each org is pretty much
guaranteed at least one slot. If NumFOCUS only gets 2 slots and there are
more than 2 sub-orgs then it's more difficult.
Ondřej Čertík
2015-03-03 22:02:02 UTC
Post by Jason Moore
Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791
Post by Ondřej Čertík
Hi Jason,
Post by Jason Moore
Hi Raniere,
Can you clarify what you mean by "applications"?
The way GSoC works is that students send applications and they are
free to send it to any accepted organization.
I see, but Raniere's statement could mean "applications from SymPy to be
umbrellaed by NumFOCUS for GSoC" or it can mean "applications from GSoC
students to NumFOCUS for SymPy related projects". For example, the PSF now
requires the sub-org to apply to be under their umbrella.
My understanding is that this is all informal. PSF chose one way to do
it (I think they do a great job btw),
other organizations do it other ways. I am not aware of any official
rules from Google how the org "must" handle this.
Post by Jason Moore
Post by Ondřej Čertík
Post by Jason Moore
Other umbrella organizations, for example the PSF, have specific guidelines
in participating under their wing for GSoC.
Right, every org has some formal or informal guidelines how they will
select students. Typically this is done based on how much they like
them, i.e. they sort them from the best to the worst, and then they
have to find mentors. Then depending on how many slots Google gives
them (i.e. typically Google gives 2 slots to new organizations, but
there can be exceptions), they accept the first N. PSF does it a bit
differently.
Ok, so I guess then I'm wondering if all sub-orgs under NumFOCUS will have
say in selecting the best applications? The PSF, for example, asks each
That is totally up to NumFOCUS to decide.
Post by Jason Moore
sub-org how many slots they'd like, then they request the full # of slots to
Google, and then they distribute the award slots among the sub-orgs
proportional to what they requested. That way each org is pretty much
guaranteed at least one slot. If NumFOCUS only gets 2 slots and there are
more than 2 sub-orgs then it's more difficult.
Indeed. PSF is an established organization, so they get lots of slots
from Google. NumFOCUS maybe will get more than 2, if they can convince
Google that they can handle it. That's up to the NumFOCUS admins. It's
always better to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Ondrej
Jason Moore
2015-03-03 22:28:27 UTC
I understand that there is no Google mandate on how organizations divvy up
their slots. I'm just curious how NumFOCUS plans to handle all of this.
From my understanding, Raniere is part of Software Carpentry (which is
fiscally sponsored by NumFOCUS) and instead of applying to GSoC as Software
Carpentry he decided and got permission to apply using the NumFOCUS name.
For example, the materials are hosted under the SWC github account, not
NumFOCUS's, and the only ideas listed seem to be from Software Carpentry (
https://github.com/swcarpentry/gsoc2015). Actually, I'm not sure what the
two ecology related projects are and what NumFOCUS sub-org they belong to.

It would be nice to understand how things will work with NumFOCUS before we
start sending students in that direction.

That is totally up to NumFOCUS to decide.

But who are the decision makers for GSoC at NumFOCUS? Aren't we part of
NumFOCUS just like Rainere and Software Carpentry are? Btw, I understand
that Raniere put together the application, did all the work, and ultimately
won the game so maybe that means that we have no formal say.

I'll stop beating this dead horse now. Ondrej, you may like the idea of
everything being informal at this level, but there are lots of people that
are quite invested in GSoC slots and informalities are bound to result with
hurt feelings.

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791
Post by Ondřej Čertík
Post by Jason Moore
Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791
Post by Ondřej Čertík
Hi Jason,
Matthew Brett
2015-03-03 22:31:35 UTC
Post by Jason Moore
I understand that there is no Google mandate on how organizations divvy up
their slots. I'm just curious how NumFOCUS plans to handle all of this. From
my understanding, Raniere is part of Software Carpentry (which is fiscally
Post by Ondřej Čertík
That is totally up to NumFOCUS to decide.
But who are the decision makers for GSoC at NumFOCUS? Aren't we part of
NumFOCUS just like Rainere and Software Carpentry are? Btw, I understand
that Raniere put together the application, did all the work, and ultimately
won the game so maybe that means that we have no formal say.
I'll stop beating this dead horse now. Ondrej, you may like the idea of
everything being informal at this level, but there are lots of people that
are quite invested in GSoC slots and informalities are bound to result with
hurt feelings.
Yes, I agree, informality in this situation is a recipe for confusion
and mistrust.

Best,

Matthew
Ondřej Čertík
2015-03-03 22:44:32 UTC
Post by Ondřej Čertík
That is totally up to NumFOCUS to decide.
But who are the decision makers for GSoC at NumFOCUS? Aren't we part of
NumFOCUS just like Rainere and Software Carpentry are? Btw, I understand
that Raniere put together the application, did all the work, and ultimately
won the game so maybe that means that we have no formal say.
I'll stop beating this dead horse now. Ondrej, you may like the idea of
everything being informal at this level, but there are lots of people that
are quite invested in GSoC slots and informalities are bound to result with
hurt feelings.
Yes, I agree, informality in this situation is a recipe for confusion
and mistrust.
Agreed, I don't like informality either. I was just trying to clarify
few things that I knew and point out the responsibility. The rest is
for Raniere to clarify.

Jason, you definitely raise good questions.

Ondrej
Ondřej Čertík
2015-03-03 21:42:05 UTC
Hi Raniere,
Post by Raniere Silva
Post by Jason Moore
Note that NumFocus was selected and that we are also part of NumFocus.
I'm in charge of it. Applications from Sympy are very welcome.
Thanks! Much appreciated.

Ondrej
Harald Schilly
2015-03-03 12:10:08 UTC
Post by Aaron Meurer
So I have some bad news. Google did not accept our application to be a
mentoring organization this year.
Hi, I'm the admin of SageMath's GSoC involvement. We were selected and
since SymPy is a component of SageMath, it makes sense that we try to help
out if possible. As a first step, I've added a link to your idea list to
our ideas list.

http://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC/2015

-- Harald
AMiT Kumar
2015-03-03 12:18:40 UTC
Post by Harald Schilly
Post by Aaron Meurer
So I have some bad news. Google did not accept our application to be a
mentoring organization this year.
Hi, I'm the admin of SageMath's GSoC involvement. We were selected and
since SymPy is a component of SageMath, it makes sense that we try to help
out if possible. As a first step, I've added a link to your idea list to
our ideas list.
http://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC/2015
Great to hear that.
Thanks Harald!

AMiT Kumar
Post by Harald Schilly
-- Harald
Param Singh
Jason Moore
2015-03-03 16:58:36 UTC
Harald,

We really appreciate that. If you all get interest from students on those
projects, please point them our way. We could also discuss which projects
are most helpful to Sage and highlight them on your wiki page.

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791
Raniere Silva
2015-03-04 01:02:36 UTC
Post by Ondřej Čertík
Post by Jason Moore
Can you clarify what you mean by "applications"?
The way GSoC works is that students send applications and they are
free to send it to any accepted organization.
By "applications" I mean students applications.
Post by Ondřej Čertík
Since SymPy is already under the NumFOCUS umbrella, how does NumFOCUS plan
to award slots to their organizations?
We are certainly interested now that we were not selected as a mentoring
organization ourselves.
I didn't discuss this with anyone yet since most of projects under NumFOCUS
umbrella tried to be mentoring organization by themselves.

I would suggest that every project have one admin
and the admins meet this week to talk about it.
Post by Ondřej Čertík
I understand that there is no Google mandate on how organizations divvy up
their slots. I'm just curious how NumFOCUS plans to handle all of this.
From my understanding, Raniere is part of Software Carpentry (which is
fiscally sponsored by NumFOCUS) and instead of applying to GSoC as Software
Carpentry he decided and got permission to apply using the NumFOCUS name.
Jason, you are correct.
Post by Ondřej Čertík
For example, the materials are hosted under the SWC github account, not
NumFOCUS's,
This happens because of time constrains.
I would like to keep it this way for 2015 edition
but next year we will host it under NumFOCUS account
or a better place.
Post by Ondřej Čertík
and the only ideas listed seem to be from Software Carpentry (
https://github.com/swcarpentry/gsoc2015).
This was because all others projects under NumFOCUS
apply to be a mentoring organization.
I hope that we can change it having many projects from Sympy
and the others projects support by NumFOCUS.
Post by Ondřej Čertík
Actually, I'm not sure what the
two ecology related projects are and what NumFOCUS sub-org they belong to.
They was proposed by Ethan White, a Software Carpentry member.
Post by Ondřej Čertík
It would be nice to understand how things will work with NumFOCUS before we
start sending students in that direction.
That is totally up to NumFOCUS to decide.
But who are the decision makers for GSoC at NumFOCUS? Aren't we part of
NumFOCUS just like Rainere and Software Carpentry are? Btw, I understand
that Raniere put together the application, did all the work, and ultimately
won the game so maybe that means that we have no formal say.
As said before,
will be great if I and people in charge of GSoC to SymPy could talk this week.
Thursday 10am EST?

Cheers,
Raniere
Jason Moore
2015-03-04 01:04:38 UTC
Raniere,

Thanks for the update. That all sounds great.

Ondrej and Aaron are the main SymPy admins and I admin for PyDy which
handles some sub-packages of SymPy (wrt to GSoC).

I'm happy to meet. I can do Thursday 10 am EST but would prefer an hour or
two later. I think Ondrej is in MTZ and Aaron CTZ.

Are there others that should be there? I see you have Spyder listed in you
README currently.

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791
Post by Raniere Silva
Post by Ondřej Čertík
their slots. I'm just curious how NumFOCUS plans to handle all of this.
From my understanding, Raniere is part of Software Carpentry (which is
Raniere Silva
2015-03-04 01:28:11 UTC
Post by Jason Moore
Ondrej and Aaron are the main SymPy admins and I admin for PyDy which
handles some sub-packages of SymPy (wrt to GSoC).
I'm happy to meet. I can do Thursday 10 am EST but would prefer an hour or
two later. I think Ondrej is in MTZ and Aaron CTZ.
Thursday 12am EST?
Post by Jason Moore
Are there others that should be there?
Yes. Spyder and Astropy.
Jason Moore
2015-03-04 01:19:52 UTC
Do you meant 12 am or 12 pm EST?

Either are fine with me.

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791
Ondřej Čertík
2015-03-04 01:24:58 UTC
Post by Raniere Silva
Post by Jason Moore
Ondrej and Aaron are the main SymPy admins and I admin for PyDy which
handles some sub-packages of SymPy (wrt to GSoC).
I'm happy to meet. I can do Thursday 10 am EST but would prefer an hour or
two later. I think Ondrej is in MTZ and Aaron CTZ.
Thursday 12am EST?
That I can only do without a video (can't use video at work).

Ondřej Čertík
2015-03-04 01:13:08 UTC
Post by Raniere Silva
Post by Ondřej Čertík
I understand that there is no Google mandate on how organizations divvy up
their slots. I'm just curious how NumFOCUS plans to handle all of this.
From my understanding, Raniere is part of Software Carpentry (which is
Post by Ondřej Čertík
It would be nice to understand how things will work with NumFOCUS before we
start sending students in that direction.
That is totally up to NumFOCUS to decide.
But who are the decision makers for GSoC at NumFOCUS? Aren't we part of
NumFOCUS just like Rainere and Software Carpentry are? Btw, I understand
that Raniere put together the application, did all the work, and ultimately
won the game so maybe that means that we have no formal say.
As said before,
will be great if I and people in charge of GSoC to SymPy could talk this week.
Thursday 10am EST?
Thanks for answering Jason's questions. 10am EST works, though I will
only have about half an hour. Do you want to do G+ hangout?

Ondrej
Raniere Silva
2015-03-04 01:50:34 UTC
Post by Jason Moore
Do you meant 12 am or 12 pm EST?
12pm EST or midday. Sorry for the confusion.
Aaron Meurer
2015-03-04 05:34:38 UTC
I have a meeting at that time but if Ondrej can attend it will be fine.

Aaron Meurer
Raniere Silva
2015-03-04 16:51:35 UTC
I was talking with Jarrod and want to make one thing clear:

Helping from a member of SymPy community is welcome.
It's possible that we will only get a few
spots this year, but with your extra help would be more likely
that we could grow in the future.

Cheers,
Raniere
Jason Moore
2015-03-04 16:58:45 UTC
Hi Rainere,

From that statement it sounds like you want to be clear that "help from
SymPy will likely cause NumFOCUS's GSoC initiatives to grow in the future".
But it isn't very clear why it was important to state that. Also, who is
Jarrod?

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791