GSoC 2013
Aaron Meurer
2013-02-11 23:02:23 UTC
So Google has announced Google Summer of Code 2013. Here's the
timeline: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012.
We need to have our org application and ideas page ready by March 9,
which is sooner than it sounds.

The ideas page is at
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2013-Ideas, the org
application is at
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2013-Organization-Application,
and the student application template is at
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2013-Application-Template.
So far, they are just copies of last year's stuff. So we need to go
through the ideas page and remove any ideas that are no longer
relevant, and also add some new ones. If someone wants to attempt an
organizational cleanup of the page as well, that would be great too.
We also need to go through the organization application and student
template and update stuff. We won't know the actual questions until
February 27 when the application period starts, but in the past they
have been almost exactly the same. Any help here is greatly
appreciated.

Now, to the main issue. Who is willing to mentor this year? If you
are willing, please add your name to the bottom of the ideas page.
It's OK if you are only able to mentor certain projects. Just note
that. Even if you are on the fence, add your name. The more potential
mentors we have, the better it looks to Google when they are reading
our application. When it comes down to it, you won't have to mentor
anybody unless you want to.

If you've participated as a student before, I encourage you to
consider mentoring. You may also apply as a student again if you
want.

To the people who helped review applications last year, are there any
changes you would like to see to the application template this year? I
know that there was a session at last year's mentor summit about this,
which Matthew, GIlbert, and Stefan attended. It would be great if you
guys could review the template with that session in mind.

To anyone who is interested in applying to Google Summer of Code as a
student, I recommend you read through
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2013-Application-Template.
Then, introduce yourself on this list (if you haven't already), and
get started on fulfilling your patch requirement. You should also
start discussing what idea(s) you are are interested in. We look
forward to meeting you.

Aaron Meurer
Stefan Krastanov
Aaron Meurer
2013-02-11 23:31:35 UTC
By the way, if you are planning on making significant changes to one
of the pages on the wiki, and you have push access to sympy, I should
note that you can clone the wiki repo with git (see
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/_access), edit the files locally,
and push them up. This is also a good idea if you suspect someone
else might be editing the wiki at the same time, because the web
interface doesn't do anything about merge conflicts, but with git, you
just get a regular git merge.

Aaron Meurer

Aaron Meurer
2013-02-12 02:07:24 UTC
Another thing that would help is if you all could fire up your IRC
clients when you are at your computer and idle on #sympy. Quite a few
people come to that channel for information about GSoC, but often no
one is around to answer their questions.

Aaron Meurer
Ondřej Čertík
2013-02-12 03:57:07 UTC
Post by Aaron Meurer
So Google has announced Google Summer of Code 2013. Here's the
timeline: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012.
I think the correct url is:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2013

Thanks Aaron for pushing it, I'll help with the application. I put
myself as a mentor too.

Ondrej
Aaron Meurer

Aaron Meurer
2013-02-12 04:40:34 UTC
It also means that the dates I gave are wrong. The application
deadline is actually March 29 and the application period begins March
18. That gives us more time than I had originally thought, though we
should still get going on this now, especially with the ideas page,
because now that the program has been officially announced, students
are going to start coming to SymPy and looking at it.

Aaron Meurer
Ondřej Čertík
2013-02-12 06:19:31 UTC
Post by Aaron Meurer
It also means that the dates I gave are wrong. The application
deadline is actually March 29 and the application period begins March
18. That gives us more time than I had originally thought, though we
should still get going on this now, especially with the ideas page,
because now that the program has been officially announced, students
are going to start coming to SymPy and looking at it.
Yep. What ideas/projects do you think are high priority (or important) in sympy?
Or do you prefer to simply list all good ideas and simply let students choose?
I have a few ideas for projects, that I will propose in more detail/guidance,
and then we can have just random good ideas where the students can get inspired.

Ondrej
Aaron Meurer
2013-02-12 19:16:38 UTC
Post by Ondřej Čertík
Post by Aaron Meurer
It also means that the dates I gave are wrong. The application
deadline is actually March 29 and the application period begins March
18. That gives us more time than I had originally thought, though we
should still get going on this now, especially with the ideas page,
because now that the program has been officially announced, students
are going to start coming to SymPy and looking at it.
Yep. What ideas/projects do you think are high priority (or important) in sympy?
Or do you prefer to simply list all good ideas and simply let students choose?
I have a few ideas for projects, that I will propose in more detail/guidance,
and then we can have just random good ideas where the students can get inspired.
Ondrej
As always, I encourage students to apply for those projects that are
most interesting to them. If it's on the ideas page, then it means
that we want it implemented (modulo some cleaning up of the ideas page
as I mentioned earlier), so it's not like we won't accept them because
they are proposing to do something we don't want. If they want to
suggest an idea that's not on the ideas page, that's fine, and it
should be clear after discussing it with us whether we would accept
the idea or not.

With that being said, I consider these to be the highest priority
projects (in order, most important first):

- Completely move to the new assumptions sys