GSoC Organization Application
Aaron Meurer
2015-02-09 22:58:36 UTC
The GSoC organization application period has started. The application
deadline is February 20. Action items:

- If you are a prospective student, you don't need to do anything yet.
Just continue to interact with the community here, on GitHub, and on
Gitter.

- If you are willing to mentor, please add your name to the bottom of
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2015-Ideas. This is very
important. Google won't accept our application if we don't have any
potential mentors. It also affects how many slots we get. Even if you
are only willing to mentor certain kinds of projects, still put your
name there, with the projects you will mentor.

- Everyone, please review the application
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2015-Organization-Application.
As of yet, this is still a copy of last year's application. I will go
through later and at least make sure that the questions are still
correct.

Feel free to just make changes to the wiki page. I will review all
changes that come in.

If you have any suggestions that you would like to discuss regarding
the application, feel free to do so here.

Aaron Meurer
Tim Lahey

Aaron Meurer
2015-02-10 22:36:20 UTC
Yeah, it would. The report isn't there because it doesn't exist. We
never got around to writing one last year. I suppose we can still do
it. Ondrej and I did start something at the mentor summit, but it
wasn't finished.

Aaron Meurer
Dulaj Viduranga
2015-02-11 14:33:09 UTC
Hi, I'm new to the project. I'm a 3rd year Computer Science and Engineering
student and I have a 5 years experience in C++, C and Java. I'm very
excited about csympy project and wondering if I could contribute to it as
this year's GSoC project?
Aaron Meurer
2015-02-15 20:10:52 UTC
I am going through and making small changes now. Kudos to Sean for
fixing up the application and making his own changes already.

Does anyone have any suggestions for larger changes that should be
made to the application?

Note that the deadline is this Friday (the 20th).

As a side note, as part of updating one of the sections, I cleaned up
the push access list a little bit, removing anyone who hasn't pushed
anything to the SymPy main repo in a over a year. If you used to have
push access and you don't any more, just let me know and I can add you
back.

Aaron Meurer
Aaron Meurer
2015-02-18 18:01:15 UTC
If you wanted to make any edits, now is the time. I am finishing up my
edits now and am going to submit what I have. I will also check again on
Friday to see if anyone made any changes and submit again if there are
(also please let me know here if you do make changes so that I won't
forget).

We also need people to update the ideas page and the application template.
The idea page is very important. At the summits, we've heard from Google
that the ideas page is the most important part of the application. The
template is perhaps less important for Google (although who knows), but
more important for the students, as it tells them how to get started with
the project, and what to put in their proposals.

I have a question about the application. There is a paragraph:

This year we plan to require each student to spend at least 10% or more of
their time in reviewing other people's pull requests (PRs) (most of these
will
invariably be from other GSoC students, since they tend to be the most
active
contributors during the summer time). That way, they will become more
integrated in our community and hopefully more likely to stay after the
GSoC
is over. Historically, students that were active in our PR queue were more
likely to stay afterwords.
("this year" refers to last year, as this is unmodified from the 2014
application)

Did we actually do this? Should we leave it in that we want to do this? I
don't particularly remember making strong on this requirement, but maybe
other mentors did a better job than I did. If you did make your students
review pull requests, did it help?

Saurabh Jha
2015-02-18 18:24:47 UTC
Post by Aaron Meurer
[...]
I think this 10% figure can be hard to measure. Can we have something
concrete like being a lead reviewer (for the lack of a better term) to at
least one PR (newbie PRs might be good for this purpose since they are
usually easy to review). This 'one patch + one review' might be a good idea.

Thoughts?

Saurabh
Jason Moore
2015-02-18 18:27:10 UTC
Aaron,

We made Jim, Tarun, and Sachin review each others' pull requests. I asked
the students whether they thought it was a good idea at the end and I
believe they all gave positive responses (but they can comment). It didn't
work as smoothly as I'd hoped. A couple of issues were that students just
looked for typos or general Python things instead of trying to learn what
the code was doing (this takes more time of course). And since Tarun was
working a lot in Javascript in the PyDy repo, it was harder to get cross
reviewing with him and the others than it was between the two that were
doing primarily Python in the SymPy repo.

I like the idea and the sooner we help people realize how valuable a good
review is and this is it a significant contribution (we should add "pure"
reviewers as authors btw) the better.

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791
Ondřej Čertík
2015-02-19 01:03:12 UTC
Hi Aaron,

I just did a simple change:

https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2015-Organization-Application/_compare/ee5734af544bd5238d8b26115dcb72ec8973bac9...f56a9a79f9289b0ab41c60b054e31f5c916f0c98

otherwise it looks good. As you said, let's mainly concentrate on the
ideas page, that is crucial.

As to reviewing pull requests, I also made my students do it last
year. We should continue with this policy.

Sachin Joglekar
Ondřej Čertík
2015-02-20 18:26:57 UTC
Hi Sachin,

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 3:56 AM, Sachin Joglekar
Sorry to be a little late folks! Added my name in the potential mentors list
for projects related to sympy.vector or physics.vector!
Thanks! I updated the application (both wiki and Melange).

Ondrej