GSoC 2012
Aaron Meurer
2012-02-04 21:01:20 UTC
Hi everyone.

Google has officially announced that they will be running Google
Summer of Code 2012. See
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012. There is
also a linke to a timeline on that page.

We plan to apply again. Google will not release the questions we have
to answer until the application period begins on Feburary 27, but they
will likely be similar to the ones that were used last year. So I
have started a page on the wiki for it at
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2012-Organization-Application,
based on last year's application. Please feel free to edit it, though
note that the questions listed there may not be the exact ones that
are asked.

Aside from that, we need people to update the student application
template (https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2012-Application-Template)
and, more importantly, the ideas page
(https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/gsoc-2012-Ideas). Please go
through the ideas page and add new ideas, and remove ones that are
already implemented. In particular, any projects that were done last
year should be removed, or updated to reflect things that can be done
to extend the project. And some of the ideas that are already there
are getting a little stale, so we could really use novel ideas.
Discuss on the mailing list if you're not sure if something fits
within the scope of the project.

Regarding the template, do people have any comments about how we ran
the program last year that they think should be changed? This is the
time to start discussing this. Also, if any mentors from last year
have any comments about the applications, changing the template is one
way to fix things.

I guess we should start getting a list of people who are willing to
mentor. In particular, for those who mentored last year, who are
willing to mentor again? If you participated in the past as a
student, and are still a student, you are welcome to apply again as a
student. Or, if you like, you can participate as a mentor.

Finally, it's not too soon to start talking to us if you want to
apply. If you are interested, write to the mailing list and introduce
yourself.

Aaron Meurer
Ondřej Čertík
2012-02-05 12:27:53 UTC
Hi Aaron,
Post by Aaron Meurer
[...]
I will help with the application. (I think we can wait
until we know the exact questions.)
We should put there information about the
last GSoC and links to our results/blogposts/reports.
And in general refresh it, I think we have learned
a lot during the last GSoC.

I will be available as a mentor again.

Jainit Purohit
2012-02-04 22:59:12 UTC
Hi everyone,

I'm Jainit Purohit, junior year student. I am
majoring in computer science. And I love mathematics and programming.
I'm interested in working with any good idea because of python (The
language that I love) and mathematics (awesomeness) . I have been thinking
over some ideas from last year's ideas page. I'm looking forward to
contribute to this awsome community. And I'm happy that Sympy is applying
for Gsoc this year.

Cheers,
Jainit Purohit
Aaron Meurer
2012-02-06 01:19:12 UTC
Cool. Have you given thought to what kind of project you want to do? Our
ideas page is still a little out of date, but it should hopefully get
better over the next few weeks. You can also play around with SymPy itself
and get ideas from what you find lacking.

Aaron Meurer

Jainit Purohit
2012-02-06 15:24:57 UTC
I read documentation before some days and I was playing around with SymPy.
I had a look at ideas page and SymPy road-map. But due to midterm at my
university I don't have enough time give in. I have a plan to get my hands
dirty and fix something to get comfortable with SymPy's code. I'll discuss
ideas on IRC as well as on this list as I'll get any idea. Thanks for your
suggestions.
Edyta Przymus
2012-02-06 16:42:31 UTC
Hello SymPy,

I am an undergraduate student loving Python and because of my field of
study (control engineering) connected closely to scientific software.
I am successful participant of GSoC 2011. A project called Plotting
module (from your ideas wiki page) sounds very exciting for me. Could
you please tell me if it's still available for GSoC 2012?

Kindest regards!
Edyta Przymus
miham
2012-02-06 19:48:40 UTC
The framework with matplotlib and Pyglet backends is right now beeing
reviewed for inclusion in master. See https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/673.
This doesn't mean you couldn't imporove it even further though.
Aaron Meurer

2012-02-06 21:58:44 UTC
Right.  Stefan, can you update the ideas page to reflect the new
module, and any potential project(s) that can be made of it?
I have done it. Especially interesting will be to have an "asymptote
detector", manupulate() and animation() functions and some more work
on the old pyglet module and/or an openGL backend upstream in
matplotlib.
Aaron Meurer
Edyta Przymus
2012-02-12 21:40:42 UTC
Hi all,

When I was considering this topic I began to think that the "basis" of
my proposal would be (at this moment) this point of quite extended
Plotting topic:
---> Write/fix/extend/port backends: matplotlib, google chart API
link, pyglet, asciart...

Could you provide me information about state of integration of SymPy
with each of these backends? Matplotlib seems the most important of
them, I understand that animation() function meant by Stefan is
connected with Matplotlib?
And of course, tell me if the direction I am getting is the right one
for you, because more important then my personal coding preferences is
the feeling of doing something useful and required - this is what
gives me most satisfaction in work :-)
Post by k***@public.gmane.org
Post by Aaron Meurer
module, and any potential project(s) that can be made of it?
I have done it. Especially interesting will be to have an "asymptote
detector", manupulate() and animation() functions and some more work
on the old pyglet module and/or an openGL backend upstream in
matplotlib.
Post by Aaron Meurer
Aaron Meurer
2012-02-12 23:28:17 UTC
Post by Edyta Przymus
Hi all,
When I was considering this topic I began to think that the "basis" of
my proposal would be (at this moment) this point of quite extended
---> Write/fix/extend/port backends: matplotlib, google chart API
link, pyglet, asciart...
Could you provide me information about state of integration of SymPy
with each of these backends? Matplotlib seems the most important of
them, I understand that animation() function meant by Stefan is
connected with Matplotlib?
And of course, tell me if the direction I am getting is the right one
for you, because more important then my personal coding preferences is
the feeling of doing something useful and required -  this is what
gives me most satisfaction in work :-)
About the plotting module: there are two modules at the moment. The
old pyglet based module that is present in the released versions of
sympy and the new one that is under development
(https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/673).

The new one should be able to support different backends but for the
moment only an initial matplotlib backend exists. It would be nice to
have for example the old pyglet module as a backend for the new one.
Or even better: cleaning up the old pyglet module and pushing it in
matplotlib upstream (I would really like that, and there is an ancient
bug report in which Certik expresses the same wish).

I think that the animation and manipulate stuff should be backend
agnostic and be a part of the new module. Probably a backend
implementation at least in matplotlib will be needed.

And it would be nice to have this working in the ipython notebook
which is not trivial.

Also, the current module deals badly with discontinuities. That would
be interesting to fix (it is not difficult in 2D using some adaptive
interval choice, but not trivial in 3D because of the meshes expected
by matplotlib).

If you want to learn more about the code, you can just start reviewing
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/673 and fixing bugs in it.

Finally, be aware that all that I have written is just an opinion. The
new module is not yet adopted and I don't really know how much of what
I mentioned would make a good GSoC application.
Post by Edyta Przymus
Post by k***@public.gmane.org
Post by Aaron Meurer
module, and any potential project(s) that can be made of it?
I have done it. Especially interesting will be to have an "asymptote
detector", manupulate() and animation() functions and some more work
on the old pyglet module and/or an openGL backend upstream in
matplotlib.
Post by Aaron Meurer
Aaron Meurer